“Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.”
~Winnie the Pooh
I have something a bit different for you today, it’s a recorded seated meditation inspired by one of my own meditation teachers who passed away earlier this year, Herwig Schön. It’s one that I found particularly helpful while I was learning it, and one that I’ve returned to again and again over the years.
To thank you for your continued support I’ve included a way you can download an mp3 file to listen to it on any device you choose. You can also access it on my website, that link is also below. While we’re on this subject, Thank You! I don’t know what my life would be like right now without your support. Thank you for the PayPal contributions, the checks, the healing herbs, checking in to see how I’m doing, giving me feedback, and letting me know what you need.
The basis of this meditation is simply imagining yourself sitting on the banks of a river and letting your thoughts flow by in the stream. I recorded the stream behind my house (pictured above) and Brett expertly mixed the track with the voice recording. Even though the recording is 20 minutes long you’ll be told during the meditation when you’ve reached the 5 minute, 10 minute, and 15 minute mark. That way you can work your way towards a 20 minute meditation if you desire.
When I first learned this from Herwig his instructions were to do this every day for 20 minutes before 6:30am. Then to do the same practice for 1 minute per hour I was awake in the day. I did it, and it was admittedly really effective. And I will also admit that most people in our class showed up week after week telling him how they failed. My approach with my friends and clients that I’ve shared this practice with is a bit different and also seems to work quite well:
- Set realistic goals for yourself. For real. Especially right now.
- If your goal is a daily practice, then find a time during the day that works for you. Hint: it helps to set a time even if it’s different every day to accommodate your schedule.
- A little is better than none. No beating yourself up about this. I mean it.
New Yoga Videos and Meditation
As always, these are shared with you under the category “pay what you can, if you can.”
Here’s the link to PayPal your support: https://www.paypal.me/
Root River Yoga on Zoom
6:00-7:00pm All Levels
7:15-8:15am All Levels
*You’re invited to stay online after class for coffee/tea and a chat.
Ways to Keep Connected
- Follow Yoga with Elle on Facebook
- Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Ask to join private Facebook group.
- Receive this newsletter in your email by signing up here .
Tips for Practicing At Home
- Create a space for yourself, but don’t get bogged down in creating a perfect space for yourself.
- Put your class on the calendar. Make space in your day.
- Make it special for yourself. Maybe this means putting on your favorite fancy yoga pants, maybe this means you finally get to practice in your pjs.
- Reach out to me if you get stuck.